Wednesday 25 June 2014

18 ONE-POINT PERSPECTIVES + 18 TWO-POINT PERSPECTIVES



THE BRIEF:

To create a folly using crosses in spaces.


THE ACTION:

After attempting different shapes through overlapping crosses onto each other, I found the results unpleasing and anaesthetically satisfying to my own taste. I decided to take a different approach by creating a rectangular prism and then extruding cross based shapes from it. Extruding from this simple form of a rectangular prism was formed by following the concept mashup of respecting the environment or landscape a building is placed in by using lineal form juxtaposed with elementary materials such as stone and timber.
After many different attempts I finally chose 6 shapes that I was pleased with.


Below:

- 6 shapes
- drawn in one-point perspective
- drawn again in two-point perspective (allowing for more depth and understanding of the shapes form
- Followed by a description of the shape and its relation to the concept mashup





A. The simplest shape and form was about contrasting a bold and solid feeling upper horizontal plane against narrow, subtle but sharp vertical support planes and lower horizontal planes to mimic the idea of spacious delicacy. 

B.(Chosen Shape for Folly) Idea based on movement and connection. This hollowed out shape forms a room created by horizontal planes which have been frozen in a sense of movement. Whilst the vertical planes open up to form entrances and spaces allowing people to attain more sense of exploration through the shapes rather than feeling grandeur in openness of space (like in A.).

C. Idea based on connection of interior and exterior.(This shape later influenced ideas into the exterior form of the lecture theatre in the final bridge design.)

D. Idea based on using long unbroken planes. An experiment to see what sense and feel I could gather. The result was that the long form and shape for me created a monumental type shape, more sculptural than a place to meet and nestle in. (ideas from this shape were later translated into the shapes and forms used in the final bridge design)

E. This shape was a result in the creation of shape C. I really liked how shape C looked and overall worked, but I wanted to improve the idea of a meeting space by introducing multi-leveled horizontal planes. (Although I was please with this shape I went with B because I felt it contrasted and juxtaposed better with my final design of the bridge)

F. The final shape I was not overly found of because it resulted in becoming less of a folly, but rather more like an actual room. The idea was based on hierarchy of levelling (much like the ideas Utzon borrowed front he Aztec temples and applied to the Sydney Opera House). I wanted to include this shape to show the diversity in the shapes I was experimenting with.  


No comments:

Post a Comment